Monday, November 23, 2009

Just a little bit of whimsy


I love playing dress-up. Costumes, wigs, insane makeup, you name it, I love it. I wish I could wear a purple wig every day, but technically I'm a grown-up and such things are frowned upon in an office environment. That's why God made weekends, isn't it?

Today's outfit isn't terribly exciting. I wore it this past Saturday and even though I ended up having the loveliest day, I didn't have anything too special planned when I originally got dressed. The weather was so glorious that the outfit was based around the fact that I just wanted to wear a sweater coat as my sole outerwear. Can I just state for the record how much I am loving fall in New York this year. The weather has been just beautiful - sunny and crisp and not too cold. I've basically been able to leave the house with just a hoodie or sweater-coat for the entire month of November, it has been amazing. Ok, now that I've gushed over Mother Nature, on we go.

Like I said, the outfit isn't very exciting. I just threw on some jeans (Z Cavarrichi via Ross if you can believe it), a long-sleeved t-shirt (Old Navy) and one of my beloved sweater-coats (this one is cotton and it's from Banana Republic). As usual it's in the accessories that it came together.

I considered wearing sneakers, but instead decided to go for some cute, purple flats from Office that would dress up the outfit a bit. The scarf is from a street fair and the earrings are a present from Mirka and I don't know where they're from. And the ears...well here comes the whimsy.

As I was contemplating how best to accessorize, I reached into my drawer of bows and feathers and hair accessories, originally planning to grab a hot pink headband. I realize for many of you a hot-pink headband with a bow would already have been too much, but that's my speed. As I was searching through my drawer I came upon the ears you see me sporting in today's photo.

I'm sure it will surprise none of you that I found the ears in the children's section of H&M. I bought them a couple of months ago, fearing that if I didn't I would suffer from fashion remorse, but not entirely certain that I would ever wear them on a day other than Halloween. But I saw them in my drawer, realized how well they matched my outfit and put them on and ran into the living room to ask my roommate if they were too ridiculous to wear out and about, or if they were the perfect level of whimsy? She voted for perfect amount of whimsy and that's all I needed to hear. The ears were a go!

I don't think I would have ever even thought about wearing ears, if not for inspiration from Elie. She's been wearing ears anywhere and everywhere for years, although I think she may have retired them at this point. Let me just say they were a hit! People kept smiling at me all day and I got a bunch of compliments (I did also get a bunch of weird stares, but that doesn't bother me). And I wore the ears all around town - I wore them to the movies and to lunch and out to an impromptu party at my local bar and even in front of my best friend who does not understand my fashion inspiration, but loves me anyway.

Photo credit today goes to Joie who took my picture after we saw Precious at BAM. She appreciated my whimsy and let me tell you, we needed something to giggle over after watching Precious, a movie which the blogs I read have dedicated more time to in the past few months than nearly any other topic save for Palin bashing.

No comments:

Post a Comment