Sunday, February 14, 2010

Greetings from Delhi

So I've been in India for a full 24 hours and I'm still getting situated, trying to wrap myself around the traffic and sorting out how to cross the street without killing myself. Seriously that is what I am most taken back by at the moment. There are portions of the highway with no lanes and folks just drive wherever they feel like. Insanity.

My flight was as good as any 14 hour flight can be, especially when you're sitting in a middle seat. Continental gets 2 giant fatty thumbs up from me. I fit comfortably in a middle seat and was pleasantly surprised by the over 300 movies I had to pick from. I watched The September Issue and Breakfast at Tiffany's for the very first time. Can you believe that I'd never seen it before? I snoozed off in the middle of it several times but kept restarting it and fast-forwarding so I could see it all the way through. Ooh, that wardrobe is absolutely divine. I kept swooning each time Holly Golightly came on screen.

I want to thank all of you that gave me suggestions for the flight - they were all super useful. Double thanks to Amber who suggested a sleep mask. I always pack one in my carry-on and this time around had completely forgotten to pack one till you suggested it. It ended up being my sleep savior, even if it wasn't anywhere close to as cute as Holly Golightly's.

Of course the one thing on the flight that I didn't think to ask for advice with was my unfathomably annoying seatmate. He sat down, introduced himself and told me that he wasn't going to keep quiet for the whole flight and wanted to talk to me. I shit you not, he actually told me that. I had my headphones in, magazine open and he wouldn't shut up. He jammered non-stop seeming to take no notice of the fact that I was ignoring him until finally I summoned up the courage to turn to him and say "I really just want to sit quietly and read my magazine if you don't mind." It doesn't sound like much, but if felt like a lot at the moment. He seemed quite taken aback but soon stopped talking to me and about 20 minutes later switched seats with his 8 year old son for the remainder of the flight. Victory was mine!

Now I'm acclimating to India, taking in the sights and sounds and smells. I'll update again soon with an actual fatshion post, and possibly more about India as well. I always want to be the sort of person who keep a travel journal, but I usually end up giving it up at around the 4th day of a trip so I may end up using my blog for that as well if folks don't mind. Of course I may very likely get bored of travel blogging as well, who knows. The one thing I don't think I'll be showing you pictures of/writing about is what I'm wearing in India. I packed my clothes for 2 weeks in my backpack and 90% of it consists of clothing I wouldn't care if I threw out. Not exactly bloomie at her most fashionable, but I'm modest and comfortable and for right now that's really all that counts.



2 comments:

  1. Good for you! You spoke up for yourself! I'm not sure if I would have had the courage to do it :) Can't wait to see your pictures. Please take pics of the marketplace, I'd love to see what it looks like :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol that's the Rachel I know and love! I was in a middle seat on Continental too. ugh I did not sleep a wink, but at least that meant I didn't have any problems with jet lag once I got here! I saw "Jennifer's Body" on the flight and a bunch of episodes of The Office and Say Yes to the Dress. And btw, even after all these years I'm still not used to the bravery that is crossing the street. Have so much fun! I went to this art festival in Mumbai yesterday and there was so much cute stuff for sale, I thought about how much you would have loved it!

    ReplyDelete