Thursday, February 11, 2010

Re/Dress NYC Model Search

So one of my absolute favorite stores Re/Dress NYC is having a model search contest and lord do I want to apply. I've never been someone who thought of modeling or had an interest in it (although as you know I do like to have my picture taken), but this contest is different than most.

To start with I think the world of Re/Dress and its owner Deb Malkin. I've written about Re/Dress several times before and featured many articles of clothing that I have purchased there. Re/Dress is out to change the way society views fat women and how fat women view themselves. They're more than a place to buy some clothes, they're revolutionary and I want to be a part of that. The application involves not just a photo, but also a short essay about what you love about your body and 3 pieces of advice you'd give to women who are struggling with self love. Now that is a contest I can get behind.

Contributing to their awesomeness is that the cutoff to even be eligible is a size 18 and most plus size models are more along the lines of a 10/12/14 and hover at around 5'10. I am 5'4 and have sizes in my wardrobe ranging from a medium to a 2x, a 10-20, so I'm at the low-end of the spectrum but I'm thinking I'll apply - I can work on my essay on the plane tomorrow. The real question now is what photos to submit? If you want to weigh in with your fave photos check out my sets on flickr or past outfits on the blog and let me know what you like best.

3 comments:

  1. I like the Sep 23 pic and the day 24 pic :) Good luck with the contest! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a brilliant contest! I like the fact you have to write about your body and also advice to people struggling with self love (something I've struggled with, and sometimes still do). Good luck with it! I like so many of your pictures, so I'm going to have to take a good look at them, and I'll let you know my favourites later.

    Also, I hope you enjoy your holiday in India! It'd be great to see some pictures from your trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, I've had a good luck at your flickr pictures and gosh, it's so hard to choose! They are ALL nice!! But, here are my favourites (all from 30 dresses in 30 days 3.0 set):
    9.14.09
    Day 17
    Sept 18
    Day 21
    Sept 22
    Sept 23
    Day 24

    Sorry there are so many! Good luck (again)!

    littlemissplumpsara

    ReplyDelete