Friday, January 1, 2010

New year, new resolutions

Happy new year all! I know I've been bad with the blogging but I'm gonna start being better, I promise.

I hope you all had a wonderful new years. I had a lovely, low key new years eve which is exactly how I like it. As you have seen on my blog over the past few months I like holidays. I love celebrating them, cooking for them and of course dressing up for them, but not new years. The truth is I hate NYE, hate it. I hate the pressure, I hate the cost, I hate the crowds, I hate how no one will commit to anything for fear that something better will come around, I just hate it. But this year a beautiful little baby that I already love to pieces was born on new years eve and I had a dear and far off friend sitting mere feet away from me when the ball dropped (well technically we were watching the Food Network when the ball dropped but he was sitting right by me at midnight) and it was as close to perfect a new years you can get in my book.

An additional thing I tend to not like about new years is resolutions. Well I don't really have a problem with resolutions themselves and in fact am about to list mine for you. What I do have a problem with is that for most Americans resolutions tend to be of the "I hate my body and need to lose 30 pounds variety." So, why not switch things up this year and resolve to love your body just as it is. Stop hating your body, stop punishing your body, stop feeling shame because of your body and resolve to love your body exactly as it is.

Now on to my resolutions.

1) Read at least one book a month that I already own and is sitting on one of my bookshelves. I often find myself buying new books when I have so many unread gems already sitting in my apartment. I think my first read is going to be The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. I'll let you know how it goes.

2) I would like to blog more frequently than I have been lately. It's a tough balance between the stress of daily blogging like I did in September and the lack of blogging I did in December. If I do really start blogging on a regular basis I'd also like to start promoting it a bit more.

3) Really learn how to use my computer. Over a year ago, lured by my friends 30% employee discount, I bought myself a mac. Other than the fact that it has a pretty purple case I've never learned to love it as I just do not understand how things work on it. Everyone always says they're so intuitive and perhaps if I had started when I was 5 it would be, but seeing as I've been using a pc for 20+ years macs are the opposite of intuitive for me. I need help of the professional variety and I'm finally going to be getting it. I just purchased a years worth of personal training sessions with a mac genius so that I can hopefully learn to love my mac just as much as everyone else.

4) Learn to ride a bike. Yes I'm 30 and I live in Brooklyn and I cannot ride a bike. Let the merciless teasing begin. I had a goal to learn by my 30th birthday but that didn't happen so much. I have however had 2 lessons this fall and am convinced that I will soon be a full fledged bicycle rider. Come spring I will ride a bike and love my mac and can then officially fulfill every damn Brooklyn stereotype out there.

5) I'd like to exercise more. When the weather is nice I walk everywhere and spend a ton of time in the park, but in the winter I get put off by the cold. I exercise because it makes me feel good physically and mentally and makes me happy.

6) I don't know if this qualifies as a resolution or not, but on new years ever my new friend Bill and I decided that we were going to do a 365 day photo project. If you're interested the photos will soon be found on my flickr page.

I think those are my resolutions for 2010. Lets see how many I'm able to keep. If I can only keep one of my resolutions for the year I think it'd be 4, but I'm hoping to keep all of them. What are your resolutions?

1 comment: